Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkey Stew from Leftovers

If you have a lot of things in the frig and some meat or poultry this is a method to re-use all those leftovers.
Seasoning it depends on what you have and is often best as a trial and error process.
Here is what I started with. Left overs in my refrigerator were: carrot and celery sticks from an open house at the shop. a small amount of sauteed onions, sauteed leeks and sauteed bell peppers, turkey. So here is what I did. Chopped the carrots and celery and added chopped onion, added salt and pepper. Sauteed all in a bit of olive oil. When softened I added a chopped red bell pepper. (if I had some mushrooms I would have added them too) Then I added in the leeks, onions and red peppers that were previously sauteed. As it browned a bit I tossed in some WhiteVermouth to deglaze the pot, ( could have used water wine or chicken broth). Next I added the turkey that I had cut into cubes, then a small amount of tomato paste from the refrigerator and a can of peeled italian plum tomatoes, crushed. I put in some parsley from the terrace and a bit of tarragon. After tasting and thinking it needed something I added a bit of ground cloves. Finally at the end I added a bag of frozen peas from the freezer. At this point It is a turkey stew, which could be covered with an number of crusts or bisquit dough. I made a corn bread to accompany and took it to a pot luck supper with my high school friends. There was enough left over to package into individual tupperware containers that I froze for future meals. If you have left over steak or pot roast this can work too. I dont thicken with flour as it is less fattening to use a bit of tomato paste or nothing at all and just reduce the liquid a bit. You could also add cubed potatoes or cooked dried beans to this and even some wilted dark leafy greens for a different version.

No comments:

Post a Comment