Saturday, January 8, 2011

Julia Child's Ratatouille Revised to Low Fat and Easier

I had a yen for Ratatouille and the best recipe to me has been by Julia Child and Simon Beck. Julia's recipe was for a half pound of eggplant and a half pound of zucchini. I doubled the recipe and offer some suggestions as to what would make it low fat/salt and still good.

the recipe is shown on the following site.

http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/julia-childs-ratatouille.html

I have changed it by substituting good chopped canned Italian plum tomatoes..imported please from Italy..read the label carefully...Also
I have lowered the 6 or 7 tablespoons of olive oil to fit into the very low fat diet I am following by making the following recipe changes..

When salting the zucchini and eggplants I use a half teaspoon of sea salt instead of a whole teaspoon, scattered over and mixed in by hand. Instead of sauteeing the zucchini or eggplant I drizzle over a whole tablespoon of olive oil then mix to cover each piece well with my hands..then I put them into a flat pan big enough to only have one layer of veggies so they don't lie upon eachother and roast them in the oven at 450 degrees. I turn and carefully watch so they don't burn or brown too much..follow the level of color from the original recipe. Next I do the same with the onions and the peppers..again using only 1 Tablespoon of oil..I do not add the tomato ealy as in the recipe, rather I add it when you layer the casserole at the end as the tomatoes are already soft out of the can.

The results are quite similar in taste to the original however the veggies are not swimming in oil and therefor can be made for a very low fat diet. If you have no issues with using all the oil it is luxurious but I find it isnt necessary particularly if you have become habituated to using less oil in your cooking.

I serve it with brown rice or quinoa and a salad

No comments:

Post a Comment