Saturday, January 8, 2011

Happy New Year! Two Steps Forward One Step Back

The new diet I have been on has helped me to lose 13 pounds since the end of August. Unfortunately my recent test results show me as having higher than acceptable Cholesterol numbers. Since the diet I have been eating is a low fat diet it is not the diet doing this. For the last number of years I have been battling a genetic pre-dispositon to high cholesterol. Being a small size..6 or a big size 4 hasn't saved me from high cholesterol. My body is just manufacturing it..just like my 98 pound mom did!
So dear reader, in addition to my normally low fat offerings I will also be adding what I call Cholesterol lowering ideas and recipes. I've been reading new books by Dean Ornish and Harvard University as well as searching the internet. When I find information that I see more than once and from credible sources I am using them to re-invent what I eat. For instance I now take fish oil and ground flax seed..more on the plan later.

While I personally will be largely vegetarian to see whether I can naturally control my body's production of cholesterol or not, without drugs..you dear reader, will see a variety of options from vegetarian to not.

I still desire to eat what tastes great and while the veggie thing is going to be a real challenge for things being as easily and quickly prepared, I am doing my best to keep it easy and fun and delicious.
For those who are interested I will be posting various links to new information regarding cholesterol and what figures into the lowering of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment