Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuna Salad with eggless Mayo!

Well its been a busy week. I did do some more cooking but because I was out a lot and also not feeling too well I cooked less. I ate out..always more challenging for my diet.. so I will start Monday a little up from my low weight but still I have lost 4 pounds since 10 days ago..which is still good progress.

I went to the Union Square Green Market on Saturday and the health food store today so I am ready to start cooking again tomorrow.

I bought two brands of eggless Mayonaise. They are acceptable if you are trying to control your cholesterol and lower calorie than an eggbased product.
I taste tested them and  there was a very clear difference. The Spectrum tasted much better than the Nayonaise. Both had 35 calories a tablespoon and 3.5 grams of fat

I made a tuna salad.

 I bought American line caught tuna, labeled American Tuna

 www.americantuna.com  

 Generally the tuna caught in the USA that is line caught is thought to be smaller and therefore have less time to develop a high mercury count.  American Tuna is a group of family fishermen and women who are committed to not killing Dolphin while fishing for Tuna.  I feel like I would rather pay a little more for this tuna cooked in its own juices tuna than trust that in Thailand or other far away nations they are so concerned with the mercury levals or saving dolphins. It also is great quality and fresher tasting to me.

Tuna Salad 2 servings

One can of tuna
Juice of one lemon or to taste
Chopped celery 2 stalks
2 tablespoons eggless mayo
Cherry tomatoes sliced in half and marinated in balsamic vinegar
Slice of organic whole grain bread from Le Pain Quotidien

www.lepainquotidien.com

This company serves organic whole grain breads and lots of really good things. They have calorie counts to aid us all and lovely communal tables where we can meet eachother..Nice!!

Mix and serve on lettuce with the tomatoes marinated in balsamic vinegar and  a slice of whole wheat toast

Today I saw a tuna salad with halved green grapes and a bit of toasted walnut..it was really good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment