Monday, March 15, 2010

Bean Taco and Chicken Curry and Plum Omelette




Got up this morning thinking I wanted a sweet breakfast..Sundays always seem to be days for french toast or pancakes..That would definitely mess up my plans for weight loss. I decided to make an old favorite. Ricotta and Plum Omelette
Here is the recipe:

Using the egg white omelette directions from an earlier blog.Make the egg white omelette. place good ricotta cheese in small pieces over the surface of the omelette and then add two or three teaspoons of sugarless jam..I used plum..lift out the omelette and fold on the plate..dip a fok into a jar of honey and let drip into jar then quickly wave over the top of the omelette and attach some sliced almonds to it..salt and pepper to taste..Yum!

I use Ricotta from a company called Salvatore Brooklyn.

www.salvatorebklyn.com

it has 40 calories per ounce and 3 grams of fat. I use just a small amount..less than one ounce and I buy it at the Essex Street Market



Then off to yoga class..boy am in inflexible..But, I am working on it.

Lunch was Bean Taco..this time with lots of cilantro and 1/4 cup cut up avocado and lots of fresh jalapeno.. Note the jalapeno is optional but remember if you like spice it speeds your metabolism and makes you prone to drinking more water. You can see the basic recipe for the taco in an earlier blog.

the delicious tortilla I use, made by Buenatural has 47 calories per tortilla and less than a gram of fat. it is available at the Essex Street Market and costs $1.79 for 12 tortillas. They are organic and made of stone ground corn..

web address is www.buenofoods.com

After lunch and posting to the blog I went to the gym and walked/jogged on the treadmill for 20 minutes..

I needed a snack before dinner..a cup of no fat vanilla yogurt with a few sliced almonds..I like stoney field organic..I'm partial to vanilla..which I also use as a sauce for berries and lemon and coffee..I dont like the chocolate as it has too much flavored gunk on the bottom of the cup.

Dinner was Chicken curry with Brown Rice Cake

Slice thin, across the grain, two or three ounces of partially frozen boneless skinless chicken breast. In an iron pan or teflon add a teaspoon or so of olive oil..cook briefly just to whiten. Remove from pan..add another teaspoon oil and cook, vegetables that you have lying around in the frig..I had..red peppers..sliced 1/8 inch thick and celery I cut on the Benriner, an inexpensive useful tool from japan..more on this one later. I added a teaspoon of curry powder and a pinch of ground cloves and a shake of ginger and mixed it up. Then I added water to keep it from burning and reduced it. When the water was drying and the veggies were not yet cooked I added more liquid. Here you can use imagination..water, chicken broth, white wine or vermouth even a little cider vinegar..but if you use vinegar don't use cast iron or you will ruin the seasoning of the pan. Next I added small pieces of fresh mango and a touch of hot sauce. When the veggies were al dente I added the chicken back just to heat through as they are very thin thats all they need..I leave a small amount of "sauce" in the mix.

I had brown rice cakes in the freezer and cooked them direct from the freezer in a slow/medium no stick pan with a thin coating of oil..maybe two teaspoons..

I make these cakes from leftover brown rice

1 cup brown rice
1 egg white
mix
add grated parmesan and 2 tablespoons low or no fat cottage cheese..I like axelrod cottage cheese the best but any brand will work..use good parmesan as it has the best flavor.
then I take about a 1/4 cup or a little less of the mix and place it into wax paper and fold it up after flattening the mixture to a square roughly 3.5 inches and about 1/2 inch thick. I then put these packages in the freezer and use as needed. I cook them until brown and crunchy on each side.

Last snack was a half grapefruit. Grapefruits are great diet foods and if you get great ones they need no sugar at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment