Thursday, March 18, 2010

Black Bean Tacos

Thursday evening I had plans to go to a lecture at 7. Having finished work at 6 this was a tight schedule. I had just commited myself to keep to an eating and exercise plan whose goal was to be thinner by 10 or so pounds down the road. That meant I needed to eat before 7 or so if I was to not wear dinner on my hips..more on the general diet excercise program which works for me in a seperate entry..So, I priorised eating dinner over arriving exactly on time and made the following:

Black bean tacos

One organic corn tortilla..available in good spanish stores..I bought mine in the essex street market downtown..then heated it up in a teflon pan tossing both sides til its warmed through.
Put it on a salad plate. Top with one pan fried eggwhite lettuce, black beans, a tablespoon of grated Cabots 50% reduced fat sharp chedder cheese, Green Mountain Gringo Salsa..I like hot, two tablespoons Cabots no fat Sour Cream. Yum! diet, quick filling and satisfying.

and I was ready for a night out..and kept to my diet plans!


Deborah Madison makes a recipe which is called Black Beans with Chipotle.. I cannot reproduce her recipe but it is a really easy concept.. Chipotle chiles in adobo are available in the spanish section of the supermarket. If you combine them..one chile per 2 small cans of beans with onion and a bit of fresh cilantro,chopped tomato..canned or otherwise you can use these for many things that are good for you. I like to use organic beans..canned are easier but dry can be used provided you soak overnight and cook til soft. then if I saute onions I use trace olive oil to start at a slow heat adding tiny amounts of water til they are softened a bit..then just add the rest and make a mush that is neither very dry nor soupy..all this takes is 15 minute and this can sit in a plastic container in the fridge for when you want to use it various ways.


2 comments:

  1. Sounding good, great idea for the blog. I am on a eating healthy kick and have kicked 10 pounds so far. Just could not stand myself anymore. Also exercising at home with some good routines from a site on the web. Building muscle and losing inches and that is a hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! We can help each other!

    ReplyDelete